SCMS Introduces New Registration Model And Offers More Than 20,000 Discounted Race Entries In 2014
– 100 special $1 entries up for grabs at ION Orchard on 16 July
SINGAPORE, 30 June 2014 – Participants in the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) 2014 will enjoy more than 20,000 discounted race entries, including 100 special $1 slots across the range of race categories, when registration opens next month. Event organiser Spectrum Worldwide also confirmed that there will be no increase in fees this year as they unveiled a new registration model for Singapore’s marquee running event.
2. Moving away from the traditional time-based ‘Early Bird’ structure, the new system is designed to reward participants who sign up early. Registration fees for SCMS 2014 will now mirror many of the world’s leading running events and will be set at a certain number per race category. Separated into three phases, namely Priority+, Priority and Normal, the discounted registration fee will only move to the next price range once the numbers of pre-determined race slots for each category have been claimed. (Please refer to Annex A attached for full details).
3. “We are excited to launch our new registration model for SCMS 2014 and we believe it will be well received by Singapore’s running community. The model has been successfully executed in various top Marathons around the world and it essentially works to reward participants who register as early as possible. It also places the onus on participants to take advantage of the discounts,” said Chris Robb, Managing Director, Spectrum Worldwide.
4. SCMS 2013 runners who are also SCB cardholders have the first opportunity for registration from 7 July 2014. In addition, all SCMS 2013 runners and Standard Chartered Bank cardholders will be able to secure their spots on the start line from 9 July. This pre-launch registration period closes at 12.00am on 15 July until public registration officially opens from 11.00am on 16 July. Participants can either sign up in person at ION Orchard during the launch event or online at www.marathonsingapore.com. A total of 100 $1 entries will be available only at ION Orchard – 42 slots for Marathon (42.195km), 21 slots for Half Marathon (21.1km), 10 slots for 10km and 27 slots for Kids Dash – on a first come, first served basis. These lucky 100 registrants will also receive a premium goodie bag. Limited edition goodie bags will also be handed out to the next 500 registrants at ION Orchard, and there will be a set number of Priority+ slots reserved for registrants at ION Orchard. (Please refer to Annex A attached).
5. For the first time in the history of SCMS, Spectrum Worldwide will also be taking the registration drive to five running communities – Jurong West, Sengkang, Pasir Ris, Toa Payoh and Yio Chu Kang Sports Centres. Organised in conjunction with ActiveSG, these roadshows will take place at the various Sports Centres during the weekends of 19-20 July and 26-27 July (see details in Annex A). Other than enjoying the opportunity to secure one of the 250 Priority+ slots especially reserved for the residents of each running community, the first 100 registrants at each roadshow will also receive the limited edition goodie bag.
6. Spectrum Worldwide, along with event owner Sport Singapore and title sponsor Standard Chartered Bank, are aiming to significantly increase the amount of funds raised for charity at SCMS 2014. In order to do so, the Ekiden has been identified as the ideal platform to drive the event’s fundraising efforts. All six-member teams must commit to raising a minimum of S$500 (or approximately $84 per runner) on GIVE Asia for the local charity of their choice before Monday, 27 October in order to qualify for the Ekiden on race day. This is in addition to the existing partnership with GIVE Asia where every SCMS 2014 participant is encouraged to raise funds for a cause close to their heart.
7. “The new Ekiden fundraising format and the introduction of the registration roadshows are both key elements of SCMS’ enhanced community engagement in 2014,” said Robb. “Increasing the amount of funds raised for charity has long been a focus for SCMS and we are determined to make significant strides this year. We trust that the Ekiden teams, as well as all other participants, will go the extra mile for charity and use their fundraising as added motivation on race day. We’re also thrilled to be taking our registration roadshows across the island, further reaching out to the running communities to be part of SCMS 2014. This community engagement will also extend beyond registration and we look forward to announcing those exciting details at our official launch on 16 July.”
8. For all SCMS 2014 registration details please visit www.marathonsingapore.com.
EVENT LAUNCH DETAILS