STANDARD CHARTERED MARATHON SINGAPORE (SCMS) 2014 LAUNCH EVENT
RUNNING ENTHUSIASTS QUEUE OVERNIGHT TO ENJOY DISCOUNTED RACE ENTRIES AT THE STANDARD CHARTERED MARATHON SINGAPORE (SCMS) 2014 LAUNCH EVENT
– SCMS 2014 unveils Running Communities programme and Five Official Ambassadors
SINGAPORE, 16 JULY 2014 — Hundreds of running enthusiasts flocked to ION Orchard this morning, joining over 50 eager participants who queued from as early as 9.30am yesterday to take advantage of the special registration deals made available at the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) 2014 launch event.
2. A total of 100 $1 race entries were made available across the range of categories – 42 Marathon entries, 21 Half Marathon entries, 10 10km entries and 27 Kids Dash entries – on a first come, first served basis. The 100 runners to claim the $1 entries also walked away with premium goodie bags.
3. A total of 1,250 Priority+ entries were also reserved for runners who registered in person at ION Orchard. This set of race entries was sold at the best registration fee available for each respective race category. As of 3.00pm today, over 800 participants had registered in person at the event launch.
4. The SCMS 2014 launch event was attended by Guest of Honour Mr Lawrence Wong, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth & Second Minister for Communications and Information; Mr Richard Seow, Chairman, Sport Singapore; Mr Lim Teck Yin, CEO, Sport Singapore; Mr Neeraj Swaroop, CEO, Standard Chartered Bank Singapore; and Mr Chris Robb, Managing Director, Spectrum Worldwide.
5. This year, the Ekiden entries are open only to teams who commit to raise a minimum of $500 by 27 October for their chosen charity. In a strong show of support for this new fundraising initiative, close to 100 Ekiden team entries were claimed as of 3.00pm today.
6. “At Standard Chartered, we have always encouraged our staff to contribute to the community, whether in terms of volunteering their time to help others in need or to raise funds to support various causes. I’m delighted that the Bank will be represented by 15 Ekiden teams in this year’s effort to raise funds for various charities, and am confident that many of our other individual staff runners will also do their bit in fundraising,” said Mr Swaroop.
7. The inaugural SCMS Running Communities programme was also introduced at today’s launch event. This new initiative aims to bring Singapore’s marquee running event closer to the wider community. All participants will be automatically assigned to one of five running communities (West, Central, North, North-East and East) based on their residential address gathered during the registration process. They will then have the privilege to attend a series of training runs and clinics to be held at each running community leading up to the actual race on Sunday, 7 December. A friendly competition will also be held between all of the running communities, with set criteria determining the victorious running community for 2014. (Please refer to Annex A here).
8. The five official #TEAMSCMS ambassadors representing each running community were introduced today to drive awareness around the new programme. They are celebrity chef André Chiang of internationally renowned Restaurant André; Paralympian and Team Singapore athlete Theresa Goh; eight-year-old Chua Jin Sen of Dr JiaJia and Big Brother YouTube fame; Zouk’s Head of Business Development and PR Sofie Chandra; and highly promising SportCares CareRunner Abdul Thaslim. (Please refer to Annex B here).
9. The #TEAMSCMS ambassadors will help rally the community when the SCMS 2014 registration drive continues over the next two weekends. Organised in conjunction with ActiveSG, a total of 250 Priority+ slots will be made available at each Running Community Roadshow. (Please refer to Annex C here).
10. Commenting on the new Running Community programme, Chris Robb, Managing Director, Spectrum Worldwide said, “The Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore has already established itself as the nation’s marquee running event so our goal this year was to further build on that strong foundation. We believe there is an opportunity to engage with Singapore’s running community on an ongoing basis, to take the event to the runners as opposed to runners simply enjoying the race experience on one day out of the
11. More than 20,000 runners will enjoy discounted registration fees this year. Members of the public will also be able to check the number of race entries remaining on the official website www.marathonsingapore.com.
12. For all SCMS 2014 registration details please visit www.marathonsingapore.com.