Rules and Regulations
1. The Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (“SCMS”) 2013 is owned by the Singapore Sports Council (“SSC”) (referred to herein as the “Owners”) and organised by Spectrum Worldwide (“SWW”) (referred to herein as the “Organisers”) in accordance with these Rules & Regulations (“R&R”) and all the terms and conditions (“T&C”) applicable to the Participants, which can be found at www.marathonsingapore.com (“Official Website”).
2. The Participant, who is a person who has entered to take part in the SCMS 2013 , is deemed to have given written permission to the Organisers for the Organisers to collect, analyse and collate any personal information relating to that Participant, as the Organisers may in their sole discretion deem fit, including without any limitation information for the Organisers’ programme, planning, data-processing, statistical or risk-analysis, research, fund-raising and/or, any other purposes in furtherance of the functions or powers of SSC as provided for in the Singapore Sports Council Act (Chapter 305).
3. Completion of the online registration form confirms the Participant’s agreement to abide by these R&R.
4. Registration for the race is only confirmed upon payment and issuance of a race identification number.
5. The Participant agrees to: (i) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about the Participant contained in the registration form (the “Registration Data”); (ii) maintain the security of the Participant’s password and identification; and (iii) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. The Organisers may contact the Participant from time to time by email. Any notice sent to the email address registered with the Organisers shall be deemed as received by the Participant.
6. If the Participant provides any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or if the Organisers have grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, the Organisers may suspend or terminate the Participant’s registration and refuse any and all future use of the Official Website (or any parts thereof).
7. The Organisers reserve the right to modify or substitute any of these R&Rs and/or T&Cs from time to time as they deem fit. If there is ambiguity in any of these provisions, the Organisers shall be the authority to interpret and in so doing, they will take into account the interests of all the affected Participants. Any amendments to these R&Rs and/or T&Cs will be updated on the Official Website.
8. The Organisers reserve the right to cancel the SCMS 2013 at any time without prior notice to the Participant, in which case they will make reasonable effort to inform the Participant prior to the date of the event. If the SCMS 2013 has to be cancelled, there shall be no refund of fees paid and the Organisers shall not be liable for any other loss or inconvenience caused.
9. The Organisers reserve the right to amend the SCMS 2013 race routes as they deem fit for the safety of the Participant and/or to prevent any potential hazards in the running of the event, at any time without prior notice to the Participant. In such cases, every effort will be made to inform the Participant prior to the day / date of the event. The Organisers shall not be liable for any other loss or inconvenience caused due to such changes.
10. Whilst reasonable precaution will be taken by the Organisers to ensure the Participants’ safety, Participants take part in SCMS 2013 at their own risk and the Organisers will not be responsible or held liable for any injury or death howsoever arising from training for or during participation in SCMS 2013 . Participants are strongly encouraged to consult their medical practitioner prior to registration and before the actual race day.
11. A Participant must retire from the race immediately if required to do so by any member of the official medical staff, Race Director, Referee and/or Security Officer.
12. The form on the reverse side of the Participant’s Race Bib must be fully and accurately completed. Participants must attach the assigned Bib on the front of their running attire. Participants not wearing a Bib will be taken off the race route by security officers or route marshals.
13. Participants will start from different Start Pens based on their estimated time of completion. Participants are to assemble in their respective Start Pens which are reflected on their Bib.
14. The race route will be closed to traffic for the duration of the race up to eight hours, from the first flag off. After which, beyond the eight-hour cut off mark, the roads will be re-opened to live traffic. More details will be available on the Official Website, through E-newsletters and Event Handbook.
15. Pets, bicycles, in-line skates, prams, push carts, shoes with built-in or attached rollers and any other wheel-run objects are not allowed on the race route for all categories. This is with the exception of both the Kids Dash and the 10km Wheelchair categories where prams and wheelchairs are allowed respectively. Only official race and medical vehicles are allowed on the race route.
16. The Organisers reserve the right to use any photographs (including those of Participants), motion pictures, recordings, or any other media records of the SCMS 2013 , for any legitimate purpose, including commercial advertising.
17. The Organisers reserve the right to limit and/or refuse race entries without assigning any reason.
18. The Organisers reserve the right to cancel any race category without prior notice to the Participants.
19. The Organisers will not entertain nor be in any way responsible for any disputes arising from incomplete entry details.
Wheelchair race category
20. The wearing of race helmet is compulsory for all Participants taking part in the 10km Wheelchair category.
21. Other than sports wheelchairs, no other types of wheelchairs are allowed on the race route.
22. After registration, there will be no fee refund for Participants who do not eventually take part in the SCMS 2013 , for any reasons whatsoever.
23. Participants are strictly not allowed to transfer their race entries to another party or change race categories after their registrations are confirmed.
24. Participants, who commence before the actual start time of the race category for which they registered for, will be disqualified. The start time for the respective race categories can be found on the Official Website.
25. Participants who do not start within 30 minutes from their respective flag off point (Marathon, Ekiden, Half Marathon, 10km Men/Women/Wheelchair, & Kids Dash) will be disqualified and for safety reasons, may not be allowed to start.
26. Participants must be 18 years and above on the race day to participate in the Marathon.
27. Participants must be 14 years and above on the race day to participate in the Ekiden team race.
28. Participants must be 17 years and above on the race day to participate in the Half Marathon – 21.1km.
29. Participants must be 14 years and above on the race day to participate in the 10km race.
30. Participants below the age of 18 are required to seek parental/guardian consent and fill up the relevant indemnity and declaration forms when registering online or in-person, failing which, the Organisers reserve the right to refuse entry to that Participant.
31. Participants for both Masters Men’s Open and Masters Women’s Open must be 40 years and above as of 1 December 2013 .
32. The Organisers will not be responsible for any loss and/or damage, personal or otherwise, to the belongings and items deposited at the event baggage storage facility. The Organisers also reserve the right to check any item or baggage deposited.
33. For Participants who are unlikely to finish the race within eight hours, race officials will divert the aforesaid Participants, at designated diversion points along the race route, to a shorter race route towards the finish gantry. For their own safety and to avoid being caught in between live traffic, Participants must obey as instructed, or else they will be pulled off the race course immediately. Finisher’s T-shirts (only applicable for the Marathon and Ekiden categories), medals and official race timings will still be issued to the aforesaid Participants. However they will NOT be issued their e-Certificate of Participation as they will be deemed disqualified.
34. Participants can choose to participate either as an individual or as part of a team. The race categories for individual and team participation are as follows:
- Marathon – 42.195km
- Masters Men’s Open
- Masters Women’s Open
- Men’s Open
- Women’s Open
- Singapore Men
- Singapore Women
- Half Marathon – 21.1km
- Men’s Open
- Women’s Open
- Men’s Open
- Women’s Open
- Kids Dash – 750m
- Ekiden – 42.195km
(Each team must consist of six Participants)
35. The Kids Dash is non-competitive, therefore, no timing device will be issued and no official timing will be recorded or provided.
36. Kids Dash
I. There will be four (4) different start times for the Kids Dash by reference to age before the race day:
- 3 years old and below*
- Between 4 – 6 years old*
- Between 7 – 9 years old*
- Between 10 – 13 years old*
*Age as on/before the race day
II. Participants must be 13 years and below on the race day to participate in the Kids Dash. Parents/Guardians of the Participants of the Kids Dash must fill up the indemnity and declaration forms when registering online or in-person, failing which, the Organisers reserve the right to refuse entry to any Participant.
III. For Participants aged 6 years old and below, it is compulsory for a parent or guardian to accompany the child during the race for safety purposes, failing which, the Organisers reserve the right to refuse entry to the Participant.
IV. For Participants aged 6 years old and below, only one parent/guardian issued with an identification tag, will be allowed to accompany the child.
V. Prams are allowed for Participants of the Kids Dash who are 6 years and under.
37. Ekiden – 42.195km Category
The rules for the Ekiden – 42.195km category:
All 6 Participants for each Ekiden team must assemble at the designated reporting locations at the stipulated time. The 1st Participant of each team will report at the Marathon start point, while the remaining 2nd-6th Participants of each team will be shuttled to their respective changeover points where applicable. Please take note that any team with latecomers will be disqualified on the spot.
The 1st Participant of the team will start at the same time as the Participants for the Marathon. At the 1st changeover point, the 2nd Participant of the same team will receive a sash from the 1st Participant; this relay will continue until the last (6th) Participant of the team finishes the race. Each of these 6 stages of the relay will not be of equal distances but will total 42.195km.
III. Welfare / Pickup:
Participants of each team who have completed their respective stage will be able to rest at the refreshment tents located at the changeover points. Shuttle buses will be made available to transport Ekiden Participants back to the Finish Point.
The first team whose 6th Participant crosses the finish line with the relay sash, will be declared the winner, unless technical disputes arise.
38. Each Participant is allowed only one prize-money award. A winning Participant may elect to receive an award in another prize category to which he/she is entitled to, which might offer a higher prize-money. Notwithstanding the Participant’s election, his/her finishing positions in each of the relevant prize categories do not change.
39. The Organisers reserve the right to replace any winners if he/she is found to be disqualified.
40. All prizes not claimed within one (1) month from 1 December 2013 will be forfeited and the Organisers will be at liberty to redistribute or dispose them accordingly.
41. Prizes must be taken, in the forms as presented by the Organisers. They are not transferable or exchangeable for cash and are subjected to the R&Rs and/or T&Cs as determined by the Organisers.
42. The “Gun Time” will be considered to determine the winners for all categories.
43. The individual categories for the Marathon – 42.195km are:
I. Masters Men’s Open
II. Masters Women’s Open
III. Men’s Open
IV. Women’s Open
V. Singapore Men
VI. Singapore Women
[Only Participants with Singapore citizenship qualify for categories (V) and (VI)]
44. The individual prizes for Half Marathon – 21.1km are:
I. Men’s Open
II. Women’s Open
45. The individual prizes for 10km are:
I. Men’s Open
II. Women’s Open
46. Prizes will not be awarded for the Kids Dash as it is a non-competitive race.
47. For prize winners or possible prize winners, appeals over disputes must be made on-site in person, in a written format with an appeal fee of SGD50, within 30 minutes of the published results on the results notice board on-site or immediately after the prize presentation, whichever is earlier.
48. For all other Participants, appeals over disputes regarding the results must be submitted in a written format with an appeal fee of SGD50, including electronic mail within 7 days of race day. The Organisers reserve the right not to entertain any appeals after 9 December 2013 . Please send your appeal letter to: SCMS Organising Committee c/o Singapore Sports Council, 230 Stadium Boulevard, Singapore 397799, and cheque payable to: Singapore Sports Council and email to [email protected]
Race Entry Pack Collection
49. All Participants must collect their Race Entry Pack which includes the Race Bib, timing device, Event T-shirt, Event Handbook and other novelties at the Race Entry Pack Collection (“REPC”) during the collection period (“Collection Period”), of which details will be stated on the Official Website. If Participants are unable to collect their Race Entry Pack in person, they may empower a duly authorised representative in accordance with the procedure detailed on the Official Website.
50. Late collection will not be entertained and the Organisers shall not be liable for any other loss or inconvenience caused, due to Participants’ inability to collect their Race Entry Pack. For avoidance of doubt, the Organisers are not obliged to extend the collection period or to ensure that the Participants receive their Race Entry Pack. At all times, it is the responsibility of the Participants to collect their Race Entry Pack during the Collection Period. Race Entry Packs not collected during the Collection Period will be deemed as unwanted, and the Organisers shall be at liberty to dispose or re-distribute them accordingly.
51. All Participants who successfully complete the race in their chosen race category will be awarded a Finisher’s Medal upon the presentation of their Race Bib to the respective officials.
52. Marathon / Ekiden participants will only be able to collect their Finisher’s T-shirt upon successful completion of the run on race day. The Finisher’s T-shirt sizes are subject to availability and Finisher’s T-shirts in the next best size will be issued to Marathon / Ekiden Participants in the event that the previously chosen size is no longer available.
53. All Finisher’s Medals & T-shirts are to be collected on the race day. No requests thereafter will be entertained.
54. All Participants who successfully complete the race in their chosen race category will be awarded an e-Certificate of Participation. The e-Certificate of Participation will be made available on the official website from 2 December 2013 12 pm. This entitlement will not apply to Participants who are unable to complete the race within the eight (8) hour cut-off mark, are disqualified or did not complete the race. The availability of the e-certificate will only be until 30 November 2014.
The Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore Distance Challenges
55. Corporate Distance Challenge:
Open to all business entities registered under the Companies Act and Business Registration Act, hereafter referred to as “Company” or collectively as “Companies”. Participants must be employees of the same Company. Verification of eligibility must be provided upon request. The Company with the longest combined aggregate distance completed by their staffs, who manage to successfully complete their individual race, wins the award. All decisions by the Organisers shall be final.
Sponsors and partners of the SCMS 2013 are eligible for the award, including the plaque and acknowledgement in a major newspaper, if they win the challenge.
56. Non-Profit Organisation Distance Challenge:
Open to all non-profit organisations, embassies or High Commissions, statutory boards, educational institutions, clubs and societies, hereafter referred to as “Organisation” or collectively as “Organisations”. For large Organisations such as a Ministry or conglomerate, Participants must be employees of the same unit, branch or chapter at which they are directly employed. Verification of eligibility must be provided upon request. The non-profit organisation, or registered unit, branch or chapter of the same Organisation with the longest combined aggregate distance by its staff and members wins the award. All decisions by the Organisers shall be final.
57. In order to qualify for the Corporate or Non-Profit Organisation Distance Challenge, the Companies and Organisations have to sign up for the Corporate Registration Package or the Gold / Silver Hospitality Packages. Participants from the respective Companies or Organisations that have registered individually will not have their clocked distances factored into the Distance Challenge for their Companies or Organisations.
58. Participants can only register and compete for one Company or Organisation under the Corporate or Non-Profit Organisation Distance Challenge.
59. The Companies and Organisations have to provide a Company Coordinator to play the role of a liaison officer with the Organisers.
60. The Company Coordinator is responsible for recruiting Participants, finalising his/her Company’s or Organisation’s race entries, obtaining and distributing race day materials to their Participants.
61. The Company Coordinator will be given an Administrative User ID and password for his/her Company or Organisation to access the registration system to key in the Participants’ finalised entries.
62. No substitutions of Participants will be allowed once the Companies’ or Organisations’ entries have been submitted.
63. Participants who register for the Corporate or Non-Profit Organisation Distance Challenge, under their Company’s or Organisation’s Corporate Registration Package or the Gold / Silver Hospitality Packages are not entitled to any other discounts (Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) cardholder discount etc) on top of the agreed corporate registration fees.
64. The Organisers will provide the timing of those Participants registered under the Corporate Registration Package or the Gold / Silver Hospitality Packages to the Company Coordinator, upon request. The Organisers reserves the right not to disclose any information on individuals that are not registered under the Corporate Registration Package or the Corporate Gold / Silver Hospitality Packages.
65. Participants who register under their Company’s or Organisation’s Corporate Registration Package or the Gold / Silver Hospitality Packages are eligible to win prizes within the race categories which they opted for.
Correct as at 7 August 2013.